To: All CYO Coaches, All Sports
From: CYO of Nassau & Suffolk
Welcome to the 2013-14 CYO of Nassau and Suffolk Program Year
Thank you for volunteering your time as a CYO Coach. You have the unique opportunity to make an impact on the youth of your parish. With this privilege comes responsibility. As a coach, you have a responsibility to your team, your parish, and the league, CYO of Nassau & Suffolk (CYONS). Coaches should know the expectations of their parish and are expected to know and follow the rules and modifications of CYONS, and to adhere to all dates and deadlines outlined for that sport. The CYO website (www.cyons.org) has ALL forms and Program Information for the CYO 2013-14 Program Year. Please refer to The CYO Modifications, Uniform & Technicals Rule, Game Schedules, (under Sports) and Venue directions for information. Coaches’ phone lists will be forwarded but can also be found on the CYO Coaches’ Corner, on an individual basis using the Game Number assigned to each game.
1) Coaches’ Responsibilities: Play all games as scheduled. Schedule any unscheduled games. Report scores within 72 hours. Have a copy of the CYO Coach’s phone list for their league, as well as the CYO Officials list. Download the CYO Rules & Modifications, UNIFORM & TECHNICALS RULE (NEW) and follow them for their level of play. Any questions please contact your Coordinator for clarification.
2) Schedules: Can be found on the CYO website (www.cyons.org) under “Sports”. Any game date of 1/01- 1/2 is a game TO BE ARRANGED (TBA) and MUST be scheduled ASAP by BOTH coaches, and reported to CYO. All games MUST be scheduled by “The Last Day to Schedule Unscheduled Games” as per the CYO Program Schedule and Calendar. Contact CYO ASAP, if you are not getting cooperation, or having difficulty scheduling a “TBA” game.
4) Rosters / Waivers: Each coach should have a copy of their current season CYO approved roster in their game book for all games. The opposing coach and the game officials have the right to ask to see this approved roster. Any failure to comply must be reported to the office. If there is no approved roster on file in the CYO office, or if the players in the game in question do not match the approved roster, the game will be forfeited by the offending team.
All players should be listed in the scorebook in numerical order with BOTH their first and last names. Rulebook penalties for player(s) not properly listed in the scorebook at the start of the game will still apply. The game official is going to be expected to examine each scorebook. A technical foul will be issued for a violation. A maximum of two technical fouls will be assessed for failure to comply.
5) Coaches’ Sanctioning: All CYO Coaches NEED to attend (or have already attended) a CYO Coaches Sanctioning Workshop. Coaches who are not sanctioned by CYO will not be able to have their teams participate in CYO post season playoffs. There is now the option to use our online coaches’ workshop at www.cyons.org. All non-sanctioned coaches will be suspended from coaching in future CYONS program years. See CYO website for meeting dates.
6) Sportsmanship: Is the backbone of CYO, teams, coaches and spectators are expected to display sportsmanship at all CYO contests. (Refer to: CYO No Tolerance Policy) All coaches are expected to submit a “Sportsmanship Ballot” at the end of the season. Sportsmanship Ballots MUST be submitted to CYO for all teams who qualify for playoffs.
7) Official’s Evaluation: Officials can be rated, when your score is entered on Coach’s Corner. In the event an official is late or does not show up to officiate a contest, please contact the CYO office immediately. Reminder: Officials MUST sign scorebook at any CYO Contest.
8) Protest: Protests may only be requested on misapplication of a playing rule or on player eligibility. JUDGEMENT CALLS MADE BY THE OFFICIAL ARE NOT PROTESTABLE.
Protests for the misapplication of a playing rule must be brought to the attention of the official and opposing coach at the time of the alleged infraction
All pertinent information necessary to allow the contest to be resumed at the point of the protest should be noted in the scorebook(s). . (time, date, signature of official etc.)
Protests on player eligibility must be made during the regular season or playoffs and must be lodged within 48 hours of the contest between the two teams involved season. Protests on player eligibility must be made directly to the CYO Office.
For a protest to be heard, submit a letter to the CYO Office along with a protest fee of $75.00.
All protests will be heard by the Athletic Committee. If the protest is upheld, the protest fee will be returned.
20 East Cherry Street, Hicksville, New York 11801
Phone 516-433-1145 Fax 516-433-1238
All CYO parish coordinators, coaches, and all other CYO volunteers and staff are to comply with the
Diocese of Rockville Centre Child Protection policies and procedures:
A) background screen required
B) attend a Virtus session (go to www.drvc.org homepage and click on the Virtus training calendar to register)
C) sign a Code of Conduct
Please see your pastor to fulfill these requirements.
Carry emergency cards for each player during all practices and games.
Feel free to share with your team and your opponent prior to every game.
Prayer of a Sportsman
Dear Lord, in the battle that goes on through life,
I ask but a field that is fair,
A chance that is equal with all in the strife,
The courage to strive and to dare.
If I should win, let it be by the code,
With my faith and my honor held high.
If I should lose, let me stand by the road
And cheer as the winners go by.
God, Let me play well but fairly,
Help me to learn something that matters once the game is over.
Let competition make me strong but never hostile.
Always let me help my opponent up.
Never catch me rejoicing in the adversity of others.
If I know victory, allow me to be happy; if I am denied, keep me from envy.
Remind me that sports are just games.
If through athletics I set an example, let it be a good one.